A domain name is a symbolic name required to identify your website on the Internet, such as “mysite.com”. It is not just an address of an Internet resource, but also the name of your website your customers primarily associate with you and your business. In business practices disputes often arise over the legitimacy of using such names. Group-IB’s attorneys employ the following methods in order to resolve these disputes:
- Pre-trial conflict settlement procedure. Practice shows that most disputes can be resolved through negotiations with the suspected infringer of your interests. Often the very fact of infringement may not be evident to the offender, due to, for instance, ignorance of the rule of law. After receiving a well-grounded claim and reviewing the submitted information, the infringer will often cease their unlawful activities.
- Legal proceedings for dispute resolution regarding domain names in .RU, .SU, and .РФ zones. A domain name in these zones belongs to Russia, and thus legal proceedings regarding domain names in these zones are entirely governed by the applicable laws of the Russian Federation.
- International UDRP procedures at the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center in Geneva, Switzerland. As part of this procedure, disputes are resolved regarding domain names in .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ, and .INFO zones, as well as other international domain zones.
Group-IB’s attorneys perform the following range of services related to domain dispute resolution:
- Consulting on the domain name rights violation;
- Providing legal support in obtaining all the necessary documentation to confirm rights to the domain name;
- Representing the client’s interests during the pre-trial settlement, and participating in negotiations with the party potentially in violation of the client’s rights and interests;
- Representing the client’s interests in Russian Federation courts;
- Representing the client’s interests at the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center in Geneva, Switzerland.
As a result of this service, infringement on the rights of the client will be suppressed and the party guilty of unlawful domain name use will be prosecuted. Intervention by Group-IB’s legal department specialists will not only minimize financial and reputational risks, but also make restitution possible.
In providing this service, our experts use an individualized approach with the goal of suppressing the violation, bringing the criminal to justice, and compensating damages. As a result of domain name dispute resolution with the participation of Group-IB’s attorneys, the client receives:
- Qualified protection of your interests. Having daily practice in responding to online incidents has allowed Group-IB’s legal department to gain valuable experience in the regulatory matters of domain name disputes. The combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills ensures a highly-qualified solution to the legal issues of our clients.
- Properly executed documentation. The collected documentation package is compiled in accordance with the applicable laws, guaranteeing that the provided information will be reviewed and approved by the law enforcement and judiciary authorities.
- The restoration of justice and reputation. Domain name dispute resolution procedures allow bringing to justice those responsible for unlawful domain name use, and, consequently, restoring justice and reputation in the eyes of your partners and clients.
- The ability to seek restitution. Compensating the damages resulting from unlawful domain name use is only possible with legally competent support. The ultimate goal of this service is to minimize the company’s damage resulting from the actions of criminals, and restitute it.